Adult Workshop | Wood Engraving with Anne Desmet
[ Workshop )
Join us for an introduction to wood engraving from Anne Desmet RA – one of Britain’s foremost engravers.
During this one-day masterclass you will learn the basics of wood engraving, create two engraved woodblocks and go home with several prints of your own design.
With the expert guidance of Anne Desmet, you will:
- Explore how historic and contemporary engravings were created
- Learn about different tool marks and how to recognize and use the tools that made them
- Learn about the different types of wood suitable for engraving
- Practice using the full range of specialist engraving tools
- Cut and print at least two small engravings exploring a wide range of mark-making possibilities
- Discover how to ink effectively, how to hand-print and about the different paper types
- Get advice on equipment and supplies for wood engraving and a demonstration of tool care/sharpening.
- Go home with several prints of one or two of your very own engraved and hand-printed woodblocks and sufficient understanding and experience to pursue printing independently.
The course runs from 11am to 5pm in our Studio and costs £95 (includes all materials). There will be a 30 minute lunch break at 1pm.
It is suitable for all levels, beginners included.
Anne Desmet’s solo exhibition, Anne Desmet: Kaleidoscope is on view in our Print Room until 5 February.
Artist's bio - Anne Desmet
Anne Desmet uses print to depict the evolution of urban landscapes, from ancient cities like Rome, to London and New York. The aspirations of humanity run through her work. She explores themes of transformation, with her dramatic use of light and shade showing the effects of time on architecture.
As a printmaker Desmet RA was only the third artist to be elected to the Royal Academy for this medium. Desmet studied at the Ruskin School of Drawing and Fine Art, University of Oxford and London’s Central School of Art and Design. She was awarded a scholarship at the British School in Rome in 1989 and she is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Painter-Printmakers. Desmet has had over 40 solo shows. This includes five major museum exhibitions in the UK and overseas. Her works are widely represented in national and international public and private collections.