Hans Feibusch, Untitled study of two women in an aquarium, 1951, Oil on canvas Feibush Studio gift of the artist 1997, © By Permission of The Werthwhile Foundation
The German émigré artist Hans Feibusch (1898-1998) arrived in Britain in the 1930s following persecution from the Nazis and inclusion in the infamous ‘Degenerate Art’ exhibition. He became celebrated as the painter of murals in churches and public buildings including Chichester Cathedral. In 1997 Pallant House Gallery received the entire contents of Hans Feibusch’s North London studio. The studio, which had formerly been Landseer’s, was used by Feibusch from the 1930s until 1997.
The Hans Feibusch collection at Pallant House Gallery includes around 80 paintings, 50 sculptures, several hundred drawings and studies, copies of all Feibusch’s lithographs (around 50 prints including proof stages), as well as the artist’s sketch books, easels, brushes, props, furniture and books – over 1,700 items in total. Pallant House Gallery also houses the Hans Feibusch Archive of photographs and ephemera. Whilst some work by Feibusch is always on show at the Gallery, to view specific items it is advisable to make an appointment. The Gallery is launching a Feibusch Loan Scheme to churches and galleries, to enable the artist’s work to be seen more widely. For more information please contact Simon Martin.