Ref: CSO7– 200518
Post Title: WeekendCustomer Service Officer
Reporting to: Head of Visitor Services/Visitor Services Supervisor
Hours of Work: 7hrs Sunday & or 8.5hrs Saturday
Rate of pay: to be negotiated
Payment period: Monthly, on the last Friday of the month
Deadline: 3rd June 2018
Interviews: 5 & 6 June 2018
The Customer Service Officer will assist the Head of Visitor Services/Visitor Services Supervisor /Duty Manager and other front of house staff and create a warm and welcome environment for all patrons, whilst maximizing Gift Aid, sales and profits. The employee has the responsibility of providing excellent customer service through enquiries, admissions and events, ensuring the security of the building, contents and grounds are not compromised. Monitoring of environmental control in line with the insurers & lenders guidelines. Working with volunteers and staff in the building being a First Aider and Fire Marshall. Maintaining high standards throughout working closely with the Head of Visitor Services/Visitor Services Supervisor /Duty Manager and supported by the front of house team.
- To make visitors welcome on arrival, to issue admission tickets, promote Gift Aid and events and encourage the purchase of magazines & Guide book.
- To carry out basic cash handling and reconciliation to maintain an accurate record of takings, volunteer expenses and visitor numbers.
- To deal with enquiries and be a point of information, face-to-face and on the telephone, transferring calls as appropriate.
- Use of Outlook, MS Word, Excel, till systems and the database on a daily basis.
- To promote the benefit of Friends' membership and process the payments of subscriptions and events of the Friends.
- To deal with any concerns and complaints with empathy, tact and diplomacy, transferring to the Visitor Services Supervisor or Head of Visitor Services, if appropriate.
- To make sure that environmental conditions are adhered to in line with our insurance and lenders guidelines, reporting any concerns immediately.
- To ensure that stocks of the various retail items are available for sale, replenished and not depleted at reception and in the designated leaflet racks.
- To assist and set up with out-of-hours events and commercial hire, as required, referring to the Events schedule and diary on a daily basis
- To cover holidays, bank holidays and staff leave or sickness, as required.
- Regularly check the washroom facilities to ensure that they are in good working order and well stocked, reporting back or dealing with, if appropriate
- To monitor the volunteer rota in advance and ensure that the correct amount of volunteers are always on duty and up-to-date information is available.
- To take part in the security provision within the gallery by means of a general supervision of visitors, and to alert the Duty Manager of any suspicious circumstances.
- Assist the Duty Manager being a part of the Emergency Evacuation Team maintaining accurate records with any incidents or accidents and assist keeping the records up to date.
- To be a First Aider whilst on duty.
- Attend in house training days, meetings, including mandatory updates on health & safety, fire safety, manual handling and other mandatory training as required. Attend any other training, as required.
- Work within agreed Gallery policies, procedures and guidelines.
- To give the Visitor Services Supervisor or Head of Visitor Services any appropriate assistance in the efficient running of the gallery and discuss any improvements moving forward.
Volunteers are a vital resource to Pallant House Gallery and it is the responsibility of all staff to treat them with respect and to value their contribution appropriately. You should ensure good communication and be aware of your responsibility towards the volunteer in terms of Health & Safety.
This job description is an outline of the duties of the post and is not meant to be a detailed summary. Other duties may be required according to the needs of the Gallery. The job description may be subject to agreed amendment in the light of experience and the need for change.
All members of gallery staff receive an annual appraisal by their line manager. The purpose of the annual appraisal is to understand how well the job has been working in the previous year, assess progress towards the targets made at the previous annual appraisal and to set targets.
Pallant House Gallery is working toward being an equal opportunities employer.
How to apply
Send your application form via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to Deborah Blows, Head of Visitor Services, Pallant House Gallery, 9 North Pallant, Chichester, West Sussex PO19 1TJ.
Please also complete the equal opportunities monitoring form and send it in a separate envelope or email marked ‘Monitoring’ to Laura Southall. Completing this form is entirely voluntary and plays no part in the recruitment process. It will be used solely to monitor the people applying for the post.
CVs will not be accepted and we regret that we cannot enter into any detailed discussion about the role.