We require a Casual Customer Service Officer
Reporting to: Head of Visitor Services/Visitor Services Supervisor
Hours of Work: Various - as and when required
Rate of pay: £8.16 per hour
Deadline: 26 February 2017
- The Customer Service Officer will assist the Head of Visitor Services/Visitor Services Supervisor/Duty Manager and other front of house staff and create a warm and welcoming environment for all patrons, whilst maximising Gift Aid, sales and profits.
- The Customer Service Officer has responsibility for providing excellent customer service through enquiries, admissions and events, and for ensuring the security of the building, contents and grounds are not compromised.
- Monitoring of environmental control in line with Gallery guidelines.
- Working with volunteers and staff in the building being a First Aider and Fire Marshal.
- Maintaining high standards throughout, working closely with the Head of Visitor Services/Visitor Services Supervisor /Duty Manager and supported by the front of house team.
- To make visitors welcome on arrival, to issue admission tickets, promote Gift Aid and events and encourage the purchase of magazines.
- To carry out basic daily bookkeeping, cash handling and reconciliation to maintain an accurate record of takings, volunteer expenses and visitor numbers.
- To deal with enquiries and be a point of information, face-to-face and on the telephone, transferring calls as appropriate.
- Use of Outlook, MS Word, Excel, till systems and the database on a daily basis.
- To promote the benefit of Friends' membership and process the payments of subscriptions and events of the Friends of Pallant House.
- To deal with any concerns and complaints with empathy, tact and diplomacy, transferring to the Visitor Services Supervisor or Head of Visitor Services, if appropriate.
- To make sure that environmental conditions are adhered to in line with our insurance and lenders guidelines, reporting any concerns immediately.
- To ensure that stocks of the various retail items are available for sale, replenished and not depleted at reception and in the designated leaflet racks.
- To assist and set up with out-of-hours events and commercial hire, as required, referring to the Events schedule and diary on a daily basis
- To cover holidays, bank holidays and staff leave or sickness, as required.
- Regularly check the washroom facilities to ensure that they are in good working order and well stocked, reporting back or dealing with, if appropriate
- To monitor the volunteer rota in advance and ensure that the correct amount of volunteers are always on duty and up-to-date information is available.
- To take part in the security provision within the gallery by means of a general supervision of visitors, and to alert the Duty Manager of any suspicious circumstances.
- Assist the Duty Manager being a part of the Emergency Evacuation Team maintaining accurate records with any incidents or accidents and assist keeping the records up to date.
- To be a First Aider whilst on duty.
- Attend in house training days, meetings, including mandatory updates on health & safety, fire safety, manual handling and other mandatory training as required. Attend any other training, as required.
- Work within agreed Gallery policies, procedures and guidelines.
- To give the Visitor Services Supervisor or Head of Visitor Services any appropriate assistance in the efficient running of the gallery and discuss any improvements moving forward.
- Any other tasks as may be reasonably required by the Gallery from time to time
To apply, please download and complete the job application form and send in an envelope marked Confidential, Head of Visitor Services, Personnel Department - Application CSM to Pallant House Gallery, 9 North Pallant, Chichester, West Sussex PO19 1TJ or by email to Deborah Blows, Head of Visitor Services.
Also please complete the separate equal opportunities monitoring form and send it in a separate envelope marked Confidential, Head of Visitor Services, Personnel Department - Monitoring CCSM – to the address specified above. The completion of this form is optional.
CVs will not be accepted and we regret that we cannot enter into any
detailed discussion of the job.
Pallant House Gallery aims to be an equal opportunities employer. The Equal Opportunities Form is entirely voluntary and plays no part in the recruitment process (hence the separate envelopes). It will be used solely to monitor the people applying for the post.